Charter School Parent Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Charter School Parent Forum

Parents of Charter School Students who want to get together and dicuss events, issues, solutions, and anything else having to do with our childrens education.

Latest topics

» Those In Need
School Board EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm by angelinemayer

» From the mouths of babes
School Board EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:00 am by angelinemayer

» IEP is a legal contract
School Board EmptyTue May 31, 2011 3:51 am by angelinemayer

» School Board
School Board EmptyTue May 10, 2011 3:07 am by KatherineDavis

» Imagine Schools 2008 Spring Survey
School Board EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:33 am by Bill

» Imagine Schools
School Board EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:56 pm by Admin ~1 ~ Melissa

» Punishment As A Whole
School Board EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 pm by Admin ~1 ~ Melissa

» Parent Meeting #1 (12/3/08)
School Board EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 8:04 pm by Admin ~1 ~ Melissa

» (Goverment) MDE - Michgan Department of Education
School Board EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 6:36 pm by Admin ~1 ~ Melissa

Navigation

Affiliates

April 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

4 posters

School Board

Admin ~1 ~ Melissa
    Admin ~1 ~ Melissa
    Admin

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

School Board Empty School Board

Post by Admin ~1 ~ Melissa Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:16 am

This is a serious question - Could someone please explain to me and maybe others, what exactly a school board is and what they do? In what I have personally seen they don't do anything for the parents or school. (and let me clarify what I mean)
    1) There has been legitament concerns by parents (can't help if some of us parents are very vocal and demanding when it comes to our childrens education and well being) anyways, office staff and the principal knew these parents had papers they were going to be turned in before 3:30pm. on the Friday before the 1st school board meeting. Guess what, the office staff nor the principal were anywhere to be found and their vehicles were also gone from the parking lot and that was before 3:05pm. There is many examples of this that many can give like this where office staff and principal know somethings going to take place and then they mysteriously don't come in that day, they leave early, they just plain can't be found.
    2) There was students advised by a teacher to get a petition going for the 6th-8th grade to wear their hoodies back at the beginning of school. These kids did a wonderful job. They turned it in to the principal who was to in turn pass it along to the school board and guess what? After 3 school board meetings these kids haven't been given a courtesy reply in writing or verbally to their petition!!! Either the principal didn't care enough to hand the petition over to the school board as he was suppose to do OR the school board could care less??? Either way, none of them are setting good EXAMPLES for our children!!!
    *** How is a school board and office staff brought on board? Are they elected in? Can they be elected out?
    So anyways, it is very frustrating when those that are suppose to set good examples and have our childrens education and well being as their TOP PRIORITY, are not who exactly are we suppose to go to who will give a RATS butt and actually do something to help because everywhere we have been instructed to go with our concerns the only thing that was done was they called the school and gave them the heads up!!! And they really wonder why the older students and parents are so andry, hurt, frustrated...
    Admin ~1 ~ Melissa
    Admin ~1 ~ Melissa
    Admin

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

School Board Empty Re: School Board

Post by Admin ~1 ~ Melissa Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Still looking for answers if anyone has them?
    Admin #2 Christal
    Admin #2 Christal
    Admin

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2008-11-09

Post by Admin #2 Christal Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm

Here's the quick version. Our board is based on the recommendations of the school staff that is given to the Saginaw Valley Board that reviews the info and goes with the schools rec.'s anyway. S.V. seems to have little or no interst in the school other then the figures that they recieve on test scores ect., the parents and students corcerns that seem to go unanswered by the school and board DO NOT seem to bother them in the least. I would like to think that if we overwelmed with calls and a paper trail that someone at S.V. would respond but that has been to no avail.I'll pull out my info this wknd. and post more info. but I really need to get back to my baking, Julian is helping me make my pumpkin cake roll.
    Bill

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Post by Bill Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:38 am

The school board is hand picked and voted in by the school board. It is not a traditional community election process as with non charter schools. The school board president is best friends with the main office staff person and they have been for many years! The school board president has hand picked and recommended by this same office staff. WP is overseen by the school board, but they do not work for them! School board members are hand picked and recommended by WP. All employees of the school work for Imagine schools, not SV and not the school board! If you call anyone in the state, including the state department of education they will tell you to take your concerns to SV. SV has been contacted several times by some parents. SV contacts WP and tells them of the concerns and someone in WP keeps telling them it is just disgruntled parents. We may want to take a petition for the current office staff to be replaced or removed from their current responsibilities and send it both to Imagine schools and SV. We need as many signatures as we can get. We have lost enough good teachers.
    KatherineDavis

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-05-10

Post by KatherineDavis Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 am

Bill is absolutely right!
    essayontime is always there.

Last edited by KatherineDavis on Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a mistake)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 am